ChaloHoppo to Nongkhnum island for overnight camping
Nongkhnum island in Meghalaya discovered by school children in 1996 shows that one really needs to leave the kids alone. Is it the second largest river island after Majuli, or not is still under speculation, but one thing that is sure is the island is magical, for the lack of a better word. Waterfalls, sandy beaches, abundant meadows, huge trees, playful cattle; you bring a checklist and you will run out of ink ticking boxes!
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Medium Group
Where are we taking you?
Does one need electricity when the moonlight and the million twinkling stars light up the night sky? This is the question you may ask yourself when you are warming yourself by the bonfire and the smell of the roasting food tingles your already heightened senses. Shooting stars will be only one of those things that will tease your senses at night.
When the sun shines the glittering water will invite you for a dip and then a country boat ride shall lead you to one waterfall, where rainbows are a common sight.
If you aren’t the kind who takes pleasure in just sitting back and chilling, a 40 minute hike crossing multiple hills will certainly excite you, as the end of the hike, takes you to one of the prettiest waterfalls of Meghalaya.
All in one night of camping and a half a day of exploring the island. What more do you need?
Driving time from Guwahati: 6 hours one way (including photo and lunch break)
Driving time from Shillong: 4 hours one way
What are you paying for?
Rs 350 – Stay in ChaloHoppo pre pitched tents
Rs 100 – Sleeping bags and mattresses
Rs 100 – breakfast
Rs 500 – Dinner and community fees (Both provided by the villagers)
Rs 250 – Service charge to ChaloHoppo (Refundable if you don’t have a good weekend)
A total of Rs 1300/- per person (Including breakfast and dinner)
A total of Rs 1150/- per person if you bring your own tent.
For further enquiries call +91 9819235749
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in extra large 3 person Fresh and Black tents Decathlon
- sleeping bags
- sleeping mats/ air mattresses
- breakfast (On 27th November)
- the island
- changing room
- drinking water
- basic dining set up
- camping chairs
- Transport to and from Guwahati (available at Rs 1500 per person)
- Breakfast on 26th November
- Tea and snacks
- life jackets
- Activity charges (minimal for boating and hiking)
- Anything not mentioned under inclusions
Day 1 Morning session
Driving to Nongkhnum
Leave Guwahati at 6 am and drive via the Rani – Accoland road to reach Mairang town. At Mairang town ask someone for the road to Nongstoin or switch on your Google maps. People from Shillong can use the road that passes next to Elephant falls.
Day 1 Afternoon session
Relax by the beach and go for a short hike
You may have your lunch on the way, but there won’t be too many options, so a stop over at Nongstoin town would be a good idea. Ask for Riverside cafe/ restaurant. Upon reaching the island, rest for a while before you take you for a sunset walk to explore the stunning Weina waterfall!
Day 1 Late evening session
Games, bonfire session and star gazing
Now that you have chased the sunset, it is time for you to sit by the fire and just have a ball. Dance, sing songs, play games, have a few drinks and then when you are tired, find a spot and star gaze to your heart’s content and stay up till whatever time you please.
Note : You have to be extremely careful about your behaviour around water as a general precaution.
Day 2 Morning
Wake up at your own time
We are assuming that the night would be long, in fact we recommend that it be long. Next day our ’Fresh and Black’ tents will keep you asleep till as long as you wish. Once you are up, enjoy breakfast and then we if you wish, take a boat ride to see the Thum falls.
Day 2 Afternoon
Gear up for the drive back home
We shall have early lunch and leave Nongkhnum by 1:30 pm. On our drive back, we shall stop for tea and snacks when required and reach our respective homes by late evening.
These tents will be quipped with sleeping mats( double layer), sleeping bags( 10- 20 degree Celsius tolerance)
Pay Rs 1300/- or Rs 1150/- (BYOT) up front to book your spot, if you need a car from us then it will be Rs 1500/- for pick up from Guwahati and drop back to Guwahati.
- Please carry basic stuff like tooth, brush, shorts, slippers, change of clothes.
1 sweater/jacket as the temperatures might get low at night
- Do not forget your sports/trekking shoes and a pair of slippers
- Carry picnic mat, balls, board games and marshmallows if you wish.
- Torches or headlamps are compulsory
- Power banks for your electronic devices, since there is no electricity in the village.
- Air Pillows or anything else that you want to keep under your head.
Campsite: Please avoid carrying plastic bottles as we shall provide free drinking water. We will be kind and sweet to you, as long as you aren’t littering.
Food: Apart from breakfast and dinner, we’ll also have snacks like maggi and chai available.
No luxuries: Please understand we won’t be able to give you hot towels, bed tea and the like.
Toilets: There will be two Indian styles toilets at the site and a changing room for ladies. Water will be provided.
- Nongkhnum is one hour drive away from Nongstoin, approximately 13 kilometers from Nongstoin.
- The island claims to be the second largest in Asia.
- The island is formed as the river Kynshi, Meghalaya’s longest river bifurcates into two rivers – Phanliang and Naliang.
- Three waterfalls – Kshiad Thum, Kshiad Weina and Kshiad Langshiang surround the island.
- The village has no electricity.