ChaloHoppo to Nongkhnum Island
Nongkhnum island in Meghalaya discovered by school children in 1996 shows that one really needs to leave the kids alone. Ostensibly said to be the second largest river island in Asia after Majuli, it is one of the most beautiful, magical and mesmerizing islands that you will set foot on. Waterfalls, sandy beaches, abundant meadows, huge trees, playful cattle; you bring a checklist and you will run out of ink ticking boxes!
Reviews 1 Review5/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Leisurely
Group Size Medium Group
Where are we taking you?
Does one need electricity when the moonlight and the million twinkling stars light up the night sky? This is the question you may ask yourself when you are warming yourself by the bonfire and the smell of the roasting food tingles your already heightened senses. Shooting stars will be only one of those things that will tease your senses at night.
When the sun shines the glittering water will invite you for a dip and then a country boat ride shall lead you to one waterfall, where rainbows are a common sight.
If you aren’t the kind who takes pleasure in just sitting back and chilling, a 40-minute hike crossing multiple hills will certainly excite you, as the end of the hike takes you to one of the prettiest waterfalls of Meghalaya.
All in one night of camping and a half a day of exploring the island. What more do you need?
Driving time from Guwahati: 6 hours one way
Driving time from Shillong: 4 hours one way
A total of Rs 3500/- per person
A total of Rs 2500/- per person (if you bring your own tent)
For further enquiries call +91 9819235749
- Accommodation in Fresh and Black Tents with sleeping bags and mattresses (Not for people opting to PYOT)
- Beach Football
- Camping Games
- English Speaking guide for hike to Wynya falls
- Boating to Thum falls
- Lunch on Day 1
- Dinner on Day 1
- Breakfast on Day 2
- Evening and Morning Tea
- Bathroom and Toilet Facilities
- Changing Room
- Drinking Water
- Life Jackets
- Transport to and from Guwahati (available at Rs 1750 per person)
- Breakfast on Day 1
- Lunch on Day 2
- Alcohol and Munchies
- Pillows (BYOP)
- Anything not mentioned under inclusions
Day 1 Morning session
Driving to Nongkhnum
Leave Guwahati at 6 am and drive via the Rani – Accoland road or drive via Shillong. You can use your Google maps. In case you want us to arrange for a vehicle that can be done at an additional cost of Rs 1750/- per person.
Day 1 Afternoon session
Relax by the beach and go for a short hike
Upon reaching the island, have lunch and rest for a while before we take you for a sunset walk to explore the stunning Weina waterfall! And just walk around the village to your heart’s content.
Day 1 Late evening session
Games, bonfire session and star gazing
Now that you have chased the sunset, it is time for you to sit by the fire and just have a ball. Dance, sing songs, play games, have a few drinks and then when you are tired, find a spot and star gaze to your heart’s content and stay up till whatever time you please.
Note : You have to be extremely careful about your behaviour around water as a general precaution.
Day 2 Morning
Wake up at your own time
We are assuming that the night would be long, in fact we recommend that it be long. Next day our ’Fresh and Black’ tents will keep you asleep till as long as you wish. Once you are up, enjoy breakfast and then we if you wish, take a boat ride to see the Thum falls.
Day 2 Afternoon
Gear up for the drive back home
We shall have early lunch and leave Nongkhnum by 1:30 pm. On our drive back, we shall stop for tea and snacks when required and reach our respective homes by late evening.
These tents will be quipped with sleeping mats( double layer), sleeping bags( 10- 20 degree Celsius tolerance)
Pay Rs 3500/- or Rs 2500/- (PYOT) up front to book your spot, if you need a car from us then it will be Rs 1750/- for pick up from Guwahati and drop back to Guwahati.
- Please carry your own toiletries and medicines.
- The temperature will be pretty low at night so a sweater/jacket is recommended.
- Do not forget your sports/trekking shoes and socks.
- Carry picnic mat, balls, board games and marshmallows if you wish.
- Torches or headlamps are compulsory.
- Power banks for your electronic devices, since there is no electricity in the village.
- Air Pillows or anything else that you want to keep under your head. Bring your own pillows (BYOP)
- Carry shorts, slippers, change of clothes.
Campsite: Please avoid carrying plastic bottles as we shall provide free drinking water. We will be kind and sweet to you, as long as you aren’t littering.
Food: Apart from lunch and dinner on Day 1 and breakfast on Day 2, we’ll also have snacks like maggi and chai available.
No luxuries: Please understand we won’t be able to give you hot towels, bed tea and the like.
Toilets: There will be two Indian style toilets at the site and a changing room. Water will be provided.
- Nongkhnum is one hour drive away from Nongstoin, approximately 13 kilometers from Nongstoin.
- The island claims to be the second largest in Asia.
- It has a natural beach
- The island is formed as the river Kynshi, Meghalaya’s longest river bifurcates into two rivers – Phanliang and Naliang.
- Three waterfalls – Kshiad Thum, Kshiad Weina and Kshiad Langshiang surround the island.
- The village has no electricity.
15 Days prior to arrival : 50% refund
7 Days prior to arrival : 25% refund
Less than 3 Days prior to arrival : 0% refund